When a dental emergency strikes, the last thing you want to do is frantically search for a reliable dentist. At Davinci Smiles in Edmonton, our emergency dentist provides prompt and professional care to alleviate your pain and get you back to smiling in no time.
A dental emergency can be defined as any situation that requires immediate attention from a dentist to alleviate severe pain, stop bleeding, or prevent permanent damage to the teeth, gums, or jaw. Some common dental emergencies include severe toothaches, broken or knocked-out teeth, bleeding gums, abscesses, and jaw injuries.
The severity of a dental emergency can range from mild to severe. A minor toothache that can be managed with over-the-counter pain medication may not require emergency treatment. However, a severe toothache accompanied by swelling or fever may indicate a more serious issue that requires immediate attention.
Sometimes, delaying treatment for a dental emergency can lead to irreversible damage or even life-threatening complications. For example, a knocked-out tooth not re-implanted within 30 minutes has a lower chance of survival. Similarly, a dental abscess that is left untreated can spread to other parts of the body, leading to severe infections.
Benefits of Emergency Dentistry:
- Prompt treatment when dental emergencies occur
- Immediate pain relief
- Prevent further damage to your teeth or gums
- Prevent serious complications
- Avoid the need for more extensive treatments later
- Restore the function and appearance of your teeth
- Peace of mind knowing dental problems will be addressed promptly
Emergency Dentistry May Include:
- Pain Management: Emergency dental care often involves providing pain relief to alleviate discomfort and make the patient more comfortable during treatment. Depending on the severity of the pain, your dentist may prescribe medication or use local anesthesia.
- Restorative Dentistry: If you have a broken, chipped, or knocked-out tooth, emergency dental care may involve restorative procedures, such as dental fillings, dental crowns, or dental implants to repair or replace the damaged tooth.
If a tooth is severely damaged or infected, it may need to be extracted to prevent further complications. Your dentist will discuss the options for tooth replacement following the extraction, such as bridges, dentures, or dental implants.
Root Canal Therapy:
If you have a tooth infection or abscess, your dentist may perform a root canal to remove the infected pulp and save the tooth from further damage or loss.
If you have braces or other orthodontic appliances and experience a broken wire or bracket, emergency dental care may involve adjusting or replacing the damaged appliance to prevent further damage to your teeth or gums.
Treatment for Soft Tissue Injuries:
If you have a cut, tear, or puncture in your tongue, lips, or cheeks, emergency dental care may involve antibiotic prescriptions and suturing the affected area to promote healing and prevent infection.
Treatment for Other Dental Emergencies:
Depending on the nature of your emergency, your dentist may provide other treatments, such as scaling and root planing for gum disease, dental bonding for a broken tooth, or denture repair for broken dentures.
Treatment for Jaw Injuries:
If you have a jaw injury, emergency dental care may involve stabilizing the jaw and providing pain relief until further treatment can be provided.
Reasons You May Need Emergency Dentistry:
- Severe and persistent toothaches
- Broken or knocked-out teeth
- Dental abscesses
- Bleeding gums
- Jaw injuries
- Loose or lost fillings or crowns
- Broken and damaged dentures
- Broken braces or wires
- Soft tissue injuries, such as cuts, tears, and punctures
- Signs of tooth infections, such as severe pain, swelling, and fever
- Sudden sensitivity to hot or cold because of tooth decay
- Unexplained swelling or lumps in your mouth
Schedule Your Consultation
At Davinci Smiles, located in Edmonton, Dr. Sholina Kherani and her team are dedicated to providing all patients personalized and exceptional dental care. With patient-focused treatments and a commitment to using the latest technology and techniques, they offer a range of emergency dental services to alleviate pain, prevent further damage, and restore the function and appearance of your teeth. Contact Davinci Smiles to schedule your consultation and receive prompt and professional care for your dental emergency.