Welcome to Davinci Smiles, the premier dental clinic in Edmonton. Scaling and root planing are the most effective treatments for periodontal disease. If you’re suffering from the signs and symptoms of gum disease, our dentists offer this procedure to help you achieve optimal oral health and a brighter, healthier smile.
Gum Disease: Gingivitis & Periodontitis
Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, affects millions of people worldwide. It is caused by plaque build-up, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth and gums. Gingivitis is the early stage of periodontal disease, characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums. If left untreated, gingivitis can progress to periodontitis, which can cause the gums to pull away from the teeth, leading to bone loss and tooth loss. Scaling and root planing are effective treatments for gum disease.
Signs & Symptoms of Periodontal Disease:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bleeding gums, especially during brushing or flossing
- Receding gums, or gums that are pulling away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Loose teeth or changes in the way your teeth fit together
- Changes in the way your dentures or partials fit
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Changes in the alignment of your teeth
- Changes in your bite
The Solution: Scaling & Root Planing
Scaling and root planing is a non-surgical treatment often used to treat periodontal disease. The dentist cleans the teeth and gums, removing the build-up of plaque and tartar. They also smooth out the surfaces of the tooth roots to prevent bacteria from accumulating in the future. Scaling and root planing can reduce inflammation and prevent further damage to the gums, teeth, and bone. With proper oral hygiene, scaling and root planing can improve your oral health.
Reasons You May Need Scaling & Root Planing:
- You have been diagnosed with periodontal disease
- You have deep pockets between your teeth and gums
- You have loose teeth or changes in the way your teeth fit together
- You have receding gums or gum recession
- You have persistent bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- You have tartar or plaque build-up on your teeth
- You have bleeding gums, especially during brushing or flossing
- You want to prevent the progression of periodontal disease and maintain optimal oral health
Your Complete Scaling & Root Planing Journey
Your complete scaling and root planing journey at Davinci Smiles begins with thoroughly examining your teeth and gums. Our dentist will evaluate the severity of your periodontal disease and determine the best treatment for your specific needs.
During the procedure, the dentist will use specialized instruments to remove the build-up of plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums. They will also smooth out the surfaces of your tooth roots to prevent bacteria from accumulating in the future. This process may take multiple appointments, depending on the severity of your condition.
After the procedure, you may experience mild discomfort or sensitivity, but this should subside within a few days. Our team will provide detailed instructions on caring for your teeth and gums after the procedure, including proper brushing and flossing techniques and using any recommended oral hygiene products.
Schedule Your Consultation
At Davinci Smiles, we understand that every patient is unique, and we provide personalized, exceptional care to meet your specific needs. Our owner and dentist, Dr. Sholina Kherani, has extensive experience in patient-focused treatments, including scaling and root planing for periodontal disease. If you want to improve your oral health and achieve a brighter, healthier smile, schedule a consultation with our team at our convenient location in Edmonton. We look forward to helping you achieve your oral health goals.