Root canals are one of the most dreaded dental procedures, but they are often necessary to save a tooth from complete decay. At Davinci Smiles in Edmonton, we have years of experience performing root canals with the latest technology and techniques. Our advanced root canals are safe, simple, and painless.
The Anatomy of Your Tooth
To fully understand the purpose of a root canal, it’s important to understand the anatomy of your tooth. Each tooth has several layers, including the enamel, dentin, pulp, and roots. The enamel is the outer layer of the tooth, which protects the dentin — the softer layer beneath it. The pulp is located in the tooth’s center and contains nerves and blood vessels. The roots anchor the tooth to the jawbone. When the pulp becomes infected or damaged, a root canal may be necessary to save the tooth.
What is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy is a dental procedure used to save a tooth that has become infected or damaged in the pulp, the soft tissue inside the tooth. During the procedure, the infected or damaged pulp is removed, and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and disinfected. The tooth is filled with a special material, and a crown or filling is placed on top to protect and restore the tooth. Root canal therapy can save a tooth that would otherwise need to be extracted.
Signs & Symptoms Indicating You Need A Root Canal:
- Severe toothache that doesn’t go away or gets worse with pressure
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures that lasts after the source of irritation is removed
- Swollen or tender gums around the affected tooth
- Darkening or discoloration of the tooth
- A small, pimple-like bump on the gums near the affected tooth
- Pain when chewing or biting down on the affected tooth
- Lingering pain or sensitivity to pressure after eating or drinking
A foul taste or odor in the mouth
Your Complete Root Canal Therapy Journey
Root canal therapy may sound intimidating, but it’s a common dental procedure that can save a damaged or infected tooth and alleviate pain and discomfort. Here’s what you can expect during your complete root canal therapy journey:
- Consultation & Examination: Your dentist will examine your tooth, take X-rays to evaluate the extent of the damage or infection, and discuss your treatment options.
- Treatment: Your dentist will numb the affected tooth and remove the damaged or infected pulp. The inside of the tooth will be cleaned and disinfected, and a filling material known as gutta-percha will be placed to seal the tooth and prevent infection.
- Crown or Filling: After the root canal, your tooth may require a crown or filling to restore its shape and function. This will usually be completed during a separate appointment.
- Recovery: You may experience discomfort and sensitivity for a few days after the procedure. Your dentist may prescribe pain medication or over-the-counter options to manage pain. Your dentist will also schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure no further issues.
Schedule Your Consultation
At Davinci Smiles, Dr. Sholina Kherani and her team are dedicated to providing personalized, exceptional care to all our patients. Located in Edmonton, we offer patient-focused treatments to address your dental needs, including root canal therapy. If you experience tooth pain or suspect you may need a root canal, schedule a consultation with us to discuss your options and restore your oral health.